Applications for 2023-2024 are closed. Please check back for updates for 2024-2025.
Hands-on teaching + online learning
Oregon State University’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) with an option in clinically based elementary, is a full-time licensure program that will prepare you to become an effective teacher capable of managing a classroom. In this 51-credit, two-year master’s degree program, you will be immersed in the classroom gaining hands-on experience from day one while actively engaging with a cohort of like-minded peers.
Are you a district staff member interested in becoming a certified teacher?
This program provides a unique pathway for district staff to become certified elementary teachers. If you currently work with students in an elementary classroom setting, our program has the potential to enable you to keep your job while earning a Master of Arts in Teaching and licensure.
The power of strong partnerships
The M.A.T. program is a unique partnership between the OSU College of Education and school districts in or near Portland and the Willamette Valley in Oregon. The program provides you the opportunity to learn from renowned OSU faculty online through Oregon State Ecampus while co-teaching with experienced senior teachers in our partner districts (see “locations” for further details on our district partners).
You will work in a classroom at least twice weekly during the first year and every day during the second year to experience the clinical learning environment. You will also complete course work delivered online by Ecampus and in face-to-face sessions at Oregon State’s downtown Portland classroom building. In the fully online courses, you will participate in discussion forums that feature enriching conversations with your cohort of peers. During the hybrid (online/in-person) courses, you will benefit from face-to-face instruction with faculty from Oregon State and our partner districts.
Teachers are in demand
Nationally, there is a strong need for teachers, particularly bilingual teachers.
Employer demand for teaching professionals with master’s degrees in the Pacific Northwest increased 81 percent from July 2013 to June 2015. Additionally, there are strong employment prospects for licensed teachers throughout the state, with a need for teachers with master’s degrees across all grade levels and content areas.
Benefits of earning your degree online from Oregon State:
- All online classes are developed by Oregon State's renowned faculty, who are known for their research, expertise and innovation.
- OSU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- The OSU College of Education preparation program recently received the highest accreditation ranking from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You receive the same Oregon State University diploma and transcript as on-campus students.
- OSU Ecampus is consistently ranked as a national leader in online education.
- The program’s rigorous curriculum and flexible delivery blends online and in-person sessions to maximize learning.
MAT in Clinically Based Elementary Education program faculty