Master's in Education in Adult & Higher Education
Oregon State University's Master of Education (Ed.M.) in Adult and Higher Education program is offered in partnership with OSU's award-winning Ecampus. This two-year master’s degree program is designed for you to directly apply your learning to your organization’s unique learning environment, meaning you can keep your job while pursuing this degree. You will gain applied skills and knowledge for designing, implementing, and assessing educational programs in a variety of formats (in-person, online, hybrid). This degree can prepare you to deliver programming in front of an audience or behind the scenes as a content developer.
Join a collaborative learning cohort designed for working professionals
- Apply your learning directly into your workplace.
- All classes are developed and taught by OSU's renowned faculty and instructors who bring real-world experience with instructional design and instructional technology to the classroom.
- All credits earned in the instructional design graduate certificate are transferrable to OSU's online master’s degree (Ed.M.) in adult and higher education.
- Limited number of instructional design internships with OSU's award-winning Ecampus.
Rooted in equity
What to Expect
Content will cover instructional technology, adult learning theory, needs assessment, instructional design, instructional strategies, workplace ethics, leadership, program evaluation, and organizational theory.
Classes are fully online and asynchronous. Courses run 10-weeks + finals week. The program can be completed in two years.
The program offers a flexible internship, with an opportunity for hands-on, applied learning. Students may choose to complete an internship within their current workplace or through established opportunities arranged by the program. OSU’s Ecampus offers a limited number of instructional design opportunities throughout the program.
Students who have graduated from this program work as educators, trainers, developers, and designers. Career titles include: Instructional Designers, eLearning Support Specialists, Technical Trainers, Program Managers, Training and Development Managers, Instructors, and Higher Education Advisors and Coordinators.
In addition to the Graduate School requirements, the program requests a resume, writing sample, and two letters of recommendation. The GRE is not required for admission.
Writing sample prompts:
- Motivation for Ed.M. Degree: Why do you want to pursue a master’s degree in Adult & Higher Education at Oregon State University?
- How will this degree support your career goals?
- Equity: Our program has a focus on equity across all of our courses. Based on either your current or future workplace, how do you define equity within training and learning? What is one equity issue you would like to be better prepared to address in your career as a result of completing this program?
A new cohort of students will begin Fall term. The priority deadline for the program is June 15th. Applications accepted after this date will be reviewed on a space available basis.
Supporting you throughout your degree
Find Your Program
We have lots of opportunities for degrees, support for graduate students, and our flexibility is second to none. We love our graduates.
Instructional Design Graduate Certificate
Earn your Graduate Certificate in Instructional Design online with Oregon State University in only one year. In this fully online program, you’ll gain an understanding of how adults learn and process information and the ability to identify their learning preferences.
Adult & Higher Education Ph.D.
The Ph.D. in Adult and Higher Education trains equity-minded researchers in the field of higher education. This full-time, traditional Ph.D. program is designed for students interested in pursuing research and policy positions in higher education. The Ph.D. allows students to work closely with a faculty advisor with similar, equity-driven research interests.
Adult & Higher Education Ed.D.
The hybrid Ed.D. degree in Adult & Higher Education has a newly updated curriculum designed for students interested in advancing in leadership positions in higher education. The curriculum has been updated to better meet the current needs of leaders at technical colleges, community colleges, and 4-year colleges and universities.