* Interest in STEM topics decreased significantly between 5th and 8th grade.
* Certain activities correlated strongly with STEM interests:
- Using the library
- Talking with someone at home about what you are learning
- Hiking/spending time outdoors
- Doing science kits/experiments
- Visiting websites of interest
- Reading books/magazines
- Building/taking things apart
* 8th graders were significantly less likely to engage in the above activities than 5th graders.
* Some families are more able to actively cultivate STEM interest development in their children.