Page Table of Contents
Placement Information for Students
- Information related to your placement is collected from you when you complete your Professional Level/Student Teaching Cohort Application.
- Your resume and professional goals statement will be sent to potential cooperating teachers and principals. Present yourself in the best light possible to facilitate getting your placement confirmed quickly.
- Students may be placed within a 45 minute radius of OSU. This includes (but not limited to) Corvallis, Albany, Lebanon, Philomath and Eugene.
- Distance placements outside of the local radius are considered upon request, but not guaranteed.
- Since placements are done on an individual basis, the timing for notification varies and is dependent upon multiple circumstances. Turning in your Professional Level/Student Teaching Cohort Application early will give you the best opportunity to have your placement confirmed as soon as possible.
Fingerprints and Background Checks
All student teachers and practicum students are required to have current (within the last three years), cleared fingerprints on file prior to beginning a placement. Please allow up to two months for prints to process and clear. Fingerprint packets can be picked up from the Student Services office in 104 Furman Hall, and prints can be done by appointment with Campus Safety (no charge) or a local police department/sheriff's office (usually for a small fee). There is a $59 fee to TSPC for fingerprint processing. Cleared prints are valid for three years. Prints must also be current and cleared when applying for a teaching license.
Students who do not have current, cleared fingerprints and are only completing course-related observations in the schools must complete a Criminal History Verification (CHV) background check through ODE, for a fee of $5. CHV forms can be picked up in 104 Furman Hall.
Full disclosure on the character questions is imperative to fingerprint/background check clearance, success in a teacher preparation program, and ultimate eligibility for a teaching license. Providing false information on a background check document may result in consequences regarding academic dishonesty, as well as possible denial of student teaching clearance and a teaching license. If you answer "yes" on any of the character questions on the PA-1 fingerprint packet, please refer to the TSPC Instructions for Answering Character Questions page for instructions on submitting the required supporting documentation.
Please contact Lynda Thomas at Lynda.Thomas@oregonstate.edu or 541-737-4661 if you have questions about the fingerprinting or background check processes.
ESOL or ESOL/Bilingual Internship Placement Request
If you are in the ESOL or ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement Program and plan to complete your internship during the upcoming year, please complete the Internship Placement Request form and submit it to Stacey Lee, ESOL Coordinator. See the ESOL Program Handbook for more information about internship requirements.
TCE 409: September/Winter Experience
Please Note: Winter Experience will not be offered December 2014.
TCE 409 is intended to give pre-service teachers additional time in the field (90 or 60 hour minimum) learning how to establish a classroom environment.
409 informational flyer
This course requires pre-approval prior to registration. If you are interested in registering for 409, please contact Jennifer Humphreys at email@example.com.
Before beginning a student teaching or observation placement, please review the OSU Youth Program Policies and Guidelines for expectations as to appropriate interactions with youth, as well as helpful resources for issues such as the mandatory reporting of suspected child abuse.