Darlene Russ-Eft, Ph.D. joined the College of Education faculty in 2002. She teaches research and program evaluation courses in the Community College Leadership program (doctoral) and the Adult Education - Organization and Human Resource Education program (masters).
Darlene is the Immediate Past President for the Academy of Human Resource Development and a current Director of the International Board of Standards for Training, Performance, and Instruction. She has served as Vice President for Research for AHRD, past Editor of Human Resource Development Quarterly, past Board member of the American Evaluation Association, and past chair of the Research Committee of ASTD.
- Adult Education – Organization & Human Resource Education
- Community College Leadership
Return to Table of Contents
- The study of learning in organizational setting
- Investigating the role of program evaluation in affecting change in individuals, groups, and organizations
- Examining issues related to ethical decision-making in program evaluation and in organizations
Return to Table of Contents
- BA, Psychology, College of Wooster, with honors, 1969
- MA, Psychology, University of Michigan, 1973
- PhD, Psychology, University of Michigan 1974
Recent Grants and Contracts
- US Department of Agriculture, Bioenergy education project, Fields, K. (OSU PI); Russ-Eft, D (Project Evaluator). 2011-2016
- National Science Foundation, Graduate Teaching Fellows in G-12, University of Nevada at Reno, Mechanical Engineering, Russ-Eft, D. (evaluator), 2012-2015
- National Arts Strategies, Evaluation of the National Arts Strategies Chief Executive Development Program, 2011-2013
- Oregon Math and Science Partnership Program, Evaluation of Algebra in Context – at IDEAS at North Eugene High School, Flick, L (PI); Russ-Eft, D. (evaluator), 2008-2011
- Mandel Communications and Cisco Corporate Positioning , Four Dimensions of Communication Russ-Eft, D., & Dalton, M. 2008
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Program Evaluation of the Minority Research Infrastructure Support Program (M-RISP) and the Building Research Infrastructure and Capability Program (BRIC), Burling, A., Levine, R., & Russ-Eft, D, 2006-2009)
- International Board of Standards for Training, Performance, and Instruction, Instructional Designer Competencies Development and Validation, Koszalka, T, Reiser, R., & Russ-Eft, D, 2007-2010
Russ-Eft, D., & Preskill, H. (2009). Evaluation in organizations: A systematic approach to enhancing learning, performance, and change (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Basic Books.
Russ-Eft, D. F., Bober, M. J., de la Teja, I., Foxon, M., & Koszalka, T. A. (2008). Evaluator competencies: The standards. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass..
Gupta, K., Sleezer, C., & Russ-Eft, D. (2007). A practical guide to needs assessment (2nd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Pfeiffer.
Preskill, H., & Russ-Eft, D. (2005). Building evaluation capacity: 72 activities for teaching and training. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Russ-Eft, D. (2012). Evaluation within organizations: So, what are the values? Invited chapter for M. Lee (Ed.). HRD as we know it: Speeches that have shaped and developed the field of HRD. New York, NY: Routledge.
Russ-Eft, D. (2010). Toward a meta-theory of learning and performance. Invited chapter for M. Malloch & B. O’Connor (Ed.). International Handbook of Workplace Learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Russ-Eft, D. (2010). Multiple uses and expanding scope of the evaluative process. Invited chapter for J. Moseley & J. Dessinger (Eds.). Handbook on Measurement and Evaluation. New York, NY: Wiley/ISPI.
Bosteder, L., & Russ-Eft, D. (2010). Measurement and evaluation in the workplace. Invited chapter for J. Moseley & J. Dessinger (Eds.). Handbook on Measurement and Evaluation. New York, NY: Wiley/ISPI.
Sleezer, C.M., & Russ-Eft, D. F. (2010). Needs assessment: A lighthouse beacon. Invited chapter for J. Moseley & J. Dessinger (Eds.). Handbook on Measurement and Evaluation. New York: Wiley/ISPI.
Russ-Eft, D. (2006). Communicating and reporting. In K. Hannum, J. Martineau, & C. Reinelt (Eds.), Handbook of leadership development evaluation (pp. 487-510). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Russ-Eft, D., & Hoover, A. (2005). The joys and challenges of experimental and quasi-experimental designs. In R. A. Swanson & E. F. Holton III (Eds.), Research in organizations: Foundational principles, processes, and methods of inquiry (pp. 75-95). San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler.
Refereed Journal Articles
Erlich, R., & Russ-Eft, D. (accepted for publication). Assessing academic advising outcomes using social cognitive theory. NACADA Journal.
Erlich, R., & Russ-Eft, D. (accepted for publication). Assessing academic advising outcomes using social cognitive theory: A validity and reliability study. NACADA Journal.
Erlich, R., & Russ-Eft, D. (2011). Applying social cognitive theory to academic advising to assess student learning outcomes. NACADA Journal, 31(2), 5-15.
Fuller, R., & Russ-Eft, D. (2010). Organizational responsiveness and growth-oriented small and medium enterprises (SMEs). Human Resource Development International, 21, 371-
Russ-Eft, D., Dickison, P., & Levine, R. (2010). Taking the pulse of training transfer: Instructor quality and EMT certification test results. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 21, 291-306. doi: 10.1002/hrdq.20052
Ponticelli, J. E., & Russ-Eft, D. (2009). Community college students with disabilities and transfer to a four-year college. Exceptionality, 17, 164-176.
Taylor, P., Russ-Eft, D., & Taylor, H. (2009). Gilding the outcome by tarnishing the past: Inflationary biases in retrospective pretests. American Journal of Evaluation, 30, 31-43.
Taylor, P., Russ-Eft, D., Taylor, H. (2009). The transfer of management training from alternative perspectives. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94, 104-121.
Russ-Eft, D., Dickison, P., & Levine, R. (2008). Determining career success for minority and female emergency medical technicians (EMTs). Human Resource Development Quarterly, 19, 281-298.
Russ-Eft, D., & Preskill, H. (2008). Improving the quality of evaluation participation: A meta-evaluation. Human Resource Development International, 11, 35-50.
Research Article of the Year—for 2004, American Society for Training and Development (ASTD), May 2005:
Russ-Eft, D. (2004). Customer service competencies: A global look. Human Resource Development International, 7, 211–231.
Outstanding HRD Scholar Award, Academy of Human Resource Development, March 2000
Times Mirror Editor of the Year (Research), May 1996
Award of recognition as one of the top 10 papers of the AHRD Conference for 2009, for 2002, for 2000, and for 1996
Editor, Human Resource Development Quarterly, 2002–2006
Associate Editor, Human Resource Development Quarterly, 1998–2002
Member, Editorial Board, Advances in Developing Human Resources, 2007-2009
Special Committees and Boards
Past President, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2012-2014
President, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2010-2012
President Elect, Academy of Human Resource Development, 2008-2010
Stream Chair, University Forum for HRD & Academy of Human Resource Development, 2012, 2013
Presidential Strand Chair, American Evaluation Association, 2006–2007
Mentor for the American Evaluation Association Student Diversity Program, 2006-2007
Director (elected), International Board of Standards for Training, Performance, and Instruction, 2005-2014
- 1998–2001, AchieveGlobal, San Jose and San Francisco, California
- 1984-1998, Zenger-Miller, San Jose, California
- 1973-1984, American Institutes for Research, Palo Alto, California